WooCommerce provides options to create coupon and coupon codes. So, if you are thinking to create a few WooCommerce coupon codes for your online store, and looking for a proper guide, you are at the right place. Read the full article to have a functional discount coupon on your WooCommerce site in just a few clicks.
You can create different types of coupons for your online store such as coupon for percentage discount, fixed cart discount, fixed product discount, and for free shipping. This article will help you learn all of these types of coupons.
- WordPress site
- WooCommerce plugin
We are assuming that you already have a WordPress website running and installed WooCommerce on it. If not, check our tutorial on How to Install and Uninstall WooCommerce [Step by Step Tutorial].
How to Create WooCommerce Coupon Codes
Here is the step-by-step guide for creating a WooCommerce coupon codes from scratch. WooCommerce coupon codes can help you to gain long-term profits without any delays.
Step By Step Tutorial to Create WooCommerce Coupon Codes
Step 1 – Add Coupon
- Since you are using WordPress website, so first login to your WordPress site.
- Now navigate to WooCommerce > Coupons. Just like the below screenshot.
- You will see a new page like the following. Now, click on “Create your first coupon.”
- A new page will open to create your first coupon.
- In the text box write your coupon code. You can write anything to give your coupon code a name. Like, “30% OFF”, “Discount50Percent”, “Clearance Sale” etc in the coupon text box.
- Just below the text box, there’s also a description box for coupons (which is optional) but it is s highly recommended that you write something interesting and charming for your product.
Step 2 – General Section
Now go to Coupon Data > General Tab to select your discount type.
The general section has 4 fields:
- Discount type – The type of discount you want to offer for the coupon code. You can choose any one from the three types – Percentage discount, Fixed cart discount and Fixed product discount.
- Coupon amount – Enter the amount that you want to offer. Type only numeric value.
- Allow free shipping – Check this box if you want to offer free shipping with the coupon. You can also create a coupon separately for free shipping.
- Coupon expiry date – Put the date when the coupon expires.
Step 3 – Usage Restriction Section
The usage restriction section contains the conditions based on which the coupon code applies. This is also the section where you can define on what products or categories the coupon applies. The user restriction section has 9 fields. They are:
- Minimum spend – Minimum amount to be spent for the coupon code to apply.
- Maximum spend – Maximum amount to be spent for the coupon code to apply.
- Individual use only – Check if other coupons cannot be used in conjunction with other coupons.
- Exclude sale items – Check if the coupon does not apply to items on sale.
- Products – Select the products on which the coupon code applies.
- Exclude products – Select the products on which the coupon code does not apply.
- Product categories – Select the categories on which the coupon code applies.
- Exclude categories – Select the categories on which the coupon code does not apply.
- Email restrictions – List of emails that have access to the coupon code – separated by comma.
Once you have filled out the above mentioned fields, you are almost done to create the coupon.
Step 4 – Usage Limits Section
The Usage Limit option lets you limit number of times a person can use the coupon and the limit on number of products.
You can quickly select the values for the three fields, Usage limit per coupon, Limit usage to X items and Usage limit per user or you can leave the default values as shown in the above image.
So, when you save the settings, the coupon will be applied according to your settings. That’s it.
How to Create Particular Types of Coupons
Now, let’s learn how to create particular types of coupons.
1. How to apply coupons for percentage discount in WooCommerce
Percentage discount is for providing a discount in percentage on certain products / categories. For example, your coupon can be “30 OFF for a 30% discount on your purchase”. For this coupon, select the Percentage discount option as coupon type, amount as you would like to offer (30%), and expiry date. Free shipping is optional.
2. How to apply coupons for cart total in WooCommerce
To apply a coupon on customer’s cart subtotal, just follow the below screenshots. For instance, let your discount be “Use FIFTY get flat $50 off on purchase above $500”. For this coupon, select discount type as Fixed cart discount, Coupon amount as 50 in General tab and Minimum spend in the Usage Restriction tab as 500.
3. How to apply coupons for specific products in WooCommerce
Fixed product discount is to apply the coupon on a specific product / category. This type of discount sounds like, “10% off on X product”. The below screenshots are example of a discount of 10% on the product “Shirt”.
4. How to create coupon for free shipping in WooCommerce
To give the “Free Shipping Method” option you must have to enable the shipping option first and for that purpose go to WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping.
Once you are done, the “Free Shipping” through coupons in WooCommerce is just a checkbox away.
You can add free shipping as a separate coupon by just put tick on the “Allow Free Shipping” checkbox. Select any discount type and keep the coupon amount to 0. Otherwise you can give free shipping along with any discount coupon.
Read the official WooCommerce Doc for coupon management to understand how each of the things works.
Video Tutorial to Create WooCommerce Coupon Codes
Check out the following video to see how to create WooCommerce coupon codes.
Hope you have gone through the tutorial and now be able to create coupon codes with WooCommerce. Coupon codes and promo codes help you to get more customers in a short time.
However, to give more extensive discounting, you may need different plugin. Because WooCommerce can provide only limited options when it comes to offer discount.